Dermatology Residency Research/Fellows
Research provides an important link in the training experience, and all residents are required to participate. By the end of their first year, residents should start focusing on a research project, which can be presented for advice and discussion at the annual departmental research day.
Second year residents are expected to be well on their way to reaching a critical mass of data for their research project. By the time they graduate from the program, residents will have submitted for publication to a peer-reviewed journal a manuscript based on their research project.
- Chen J, Fang D, Goodnough L, Hooper K, Porter M, Shieh L. Why providers transfuse blood products outside recommended guidelines in spite of integrated electronic best practice alerts. Manuscript accepted to the Journal of Hospital Medicine on 5/1/14.
- Cohen AD, Andrews ID, Medvedovsky E, Peleg R, Vardy DA. “Similaritiesbetweenneuropathic pruritus sites and lichen simplex chronicus sites.” The Israeli Medical Association Journal 2014, 16(2): 88-90.
Resident Manuscripts and Research Projects in Progress
- Tamara Lazic – Orlistat-induced bullous LCV – Submitted Cutis
- Heidi Anderson – Forming an effective relationship with dermatologic surgery patients – To be submitted - Dermatology Surgery
- Heidi Anderson – Stem cells in dermatology surgery – In progress
- Jessica Kirk – Needlesticks in dermatology residents – In progress
- Jessica Kirk – Immunostaining of lentigo maligna – In progress
- Jaymie Panuncialman & Christina Cernik – New method for digital planimetry – In progress
- Heiner D, Panuncialman J-, Zsolt A, et al. Immunophenotypic profiles of conjunctival primary acquired melanosis and cutaneous in situ melanoma are similar. In final stages of manuscript preparation.
- Investigator-initiated, open-label trial of ustekinumab for the treatment of Moderate-to-severe palmoplantar psoriasis. Andrews D, Au, S, Goldminz A, Noori K, Dumont K, Michelon M, Volf E, Hession M, Lizzul P, Kerensky T, Wang A, Yaniv S, Gottlieb A, Journal of Dermatological Treatment. 179-87, 24: 2013. 27)
- Papular Eruption on the face: A Distinct Subtype of Lichen Planopilaris. Andrews ID, Breen C, Zhou LH. J Dermatol Case Rep. 30:23-4, 2013
- Primary Cutaneous CD30-Positive T-Cell Lymphoproliferative Disorders with Biallelic Rearrangements of DUSP22.Csikesz, C, Kadin M, Knudson R, Greipp P Feldman. A Journal of Investigative Dermatology advance Online publication, 21 February 2013; doi;10.1038/jid.2013.
- The Emerging use of bone marrow-derived mesenchymal stem cells in the treatmentOf human chronic wounds. Dabiri, G, Heiner, D, Falanga, V. Expert Opinion on Emerging Drugs in August 2013.
- A Resolution of recalcitrant psoriatic plaques after treatment with gemcitabine and carboplatin. J Am Acad Dermatol, 2013. Supplement 1 68(4):AB210. Heiner, D, Cernik, C,Pedvis-Leftick, A Connective Tissue Ulcers. Dabiri, G, Falanga, V. Journal of Tissue Viability 2013.
- The emerging use of bone marrow-derived mesenchymal stem cells in the treatment of human chronic wounds. Dabiri, G, Heiner, D, Falanga, V. Expert Opinion on Emerging Drugs. August 2013.
- Investigator-initiated, open –label trial of ustekinumab for the treatment of Moderate to severe palmoplantar psoriasis. Shiu-Chung A, Goldminz AM, Kim N,Dumont N, Michelon M, Volf E, Hession M, Lizzul PF, Andrews ID, Kerensky T, Wang A, Yaniv S, Gottlieb AB. Journal of Dermatological Treatment 2013,24: 179-87.
- Ruxolitinib Associated Exfoliative Dermatitis. Fournier, JB Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology. Volume 68, Issue 4, Supplement 1, Page AB181, April 2013.
- Primary Cutaneous CD30-positive T-cell Lymphoproliferative Disorders with Biallelic Rearrangements of DUSP22. Csikesz. C, Knudson RA, Greipp PT, Feldman AL, Kadin M. J Invest. Dermatol. 133(6):1680-2. 2013
- Ruxolitinib Associated Exfoliative Dermatitis. Fournier, JB. Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology. Volume 68, Issue 4, Supplement 1, Page AB181, April 2013.
- Andrews I, Mouzakis J. Boards’ Fodder: Neonatal Dermatoses. Directions in Residency. 2013 December.
- Tiger J, Mouzakis J, Iwamoto S. Use of histopathological photographs improves accuracy of Mohs mapping: A pilot Study. American Society for Dermatologic Surgery Status: Submitted
- Dabiri G, Heiner D, Falanga V: The Emerging Use of Bone Marrow-Derived Mesenchymal Stem Cells in the Treatment of Human Chronic Wounds. Expert Opin Emerg Drugs. 2013 Sep 4.
- Andrews ID, Breen C, Zhou LH. “A Papular Eruption on the Face: A Distinct Subtype ofLichen Planopilaris.” Journal of Dermatological Case Reports 2013, 30: 23-4
- Shiu-Chung A, Goldminz AM, Kim N, Dumont N, Michelon M, Volf E, Hession M, Lizzul PF, Andrews ID, Kerensky T, Wang A, Yaniv S, Gottlieb AB. “Investigator-initiated, open –label trial of ustekinumab for the treatment of moderate-to-severe palmoplantar psoriasis.” Journal of Dermatological Treatment 2013, 24: 179-87
- Imiquimod 5% Cream Use in Dermatology, Side Effects and recent Patents. Recent Patents on Inflammation & Allergy Drug Discovery. 65-69, 2012.
- Bioengineered skin constructs and its applications Lazic T, Falanga V, Plastic & Reconst. Surgery J., 2011.
- Extending the Phenotypic Spectrum of Keratitis-Ichthyosis-Deafness Syndrone: Report of a Patient with GJB2 (G12R) Connexin 26 Mutation and Unusual Clinical Findings. Lazic T, Zhou, L Case Report. Pediatric Dermatology 1-9, 2011.
- Preventing Ultraviolet radiation scalp injury in men. Peer-Reviewed Article Household and Personal Care Today. Heiner D 18-19, 2011
- Amyopathic Dermatomyositis in a patient with an extramedullary plasmacytoma of the tongue. Journal of Dermatology. Lazic T, Orme C, Zhou L. Vol 39, 1-2 Dec 2011.
- Successful treatment of indeterminate cell histiocytosis with low-dose methotrexate. Fournier JB, Ingraffea A, Pedvis-Leftick A J Dermatol. 2011 Sep;38(9):937-9.
- Hypergammaglobulinemic Purpura of Waldennstrom Frankel AF, Ingraffea AI, Masse MM, Zhou LZ, 2010.
- Wound edge biopsy sites in chronic wounds heal rapidly and do not result in delayed overall wound healing. Hammerman Carson P, Falanga V. Wound Repair and Regeneration.18:21-25, 2010.
- Use of a Preliminary Horizontal Mattress Suture on Scalp Biopsies to Achieve Rapi Hemostasis.Ingraffea, AI. American Society for Dematologic Surgery Inc. 2010
- Diabetic foot calluses show histological similarities to HPV infection without Evidence of HPV involvement by nested PCR. Int J Low Extrem Wounds June 9(2) 84-89, 2010
- Unusual causes of cutaneous ulcerations. Panuncialman J Falanga V Surg Clin N Am, 2010.
- Healing of ulcers due to cryofibrinogenemia with colchicine and high-dose pentoxifylline. Chartier MC, Falanga VF. Am J Clin Dermatol 2009.
- The Utility of the DNA microarray scanner to simplify the immunofluorescence evaluation of autoimmune bullous disease. Iwamoto AI, Cha JC, Clark TC, Lu ML, Breen CB, Bhawan JB, Falanga VF. Am J Dermatopathol, Vol. 32, 1-5, 2009.
- Treatment of epidermoloysis bullosa simplex, weber-cockayne type, with botulinum toxin type A Abitbol RJ, Zhou LH. Arch Dermatolol, Vol. 145 (#1), January 2009.
- Adult-onset erythropoietic porphyria in the setting of MDS. Ingraffea, AI, Arch Dermatol/Vol. 145 (#8) Aug. 2009
- Fibroblasts from non-healing human diabetic ulcers show decreased expression of beta ig-H3, a TGF-beta inducible protein. Butmarc, J Kim TH, Kim SJ, Falanga V; Dermatol Sci 50:15-23, 2008
- Collision of desmoplastic-neurotropic melanoma and squamos cell carcinoma on the lip Chartier M, Butmarc J, Tibbetts L. Journal of Cutaneous Pathology 35:473-476, 2008.
- Chapter 213 – Venous Leg Ulcers. Panuncialman J, Falanga V. Elsevier Inc. 2008.
- Stem cells in cutaneous wound healing. Cha J, Falanga, V. Clinics in Dermatology. 2007 25;73-7
- Migration of the epidermal over the dermal component (Epiboly) an a bilayered bioengineered skin construct. Butmarc, J Cha, J Yufit, T, Carson, P Falanga,V Tissue Engineering, Vol 13 (1) 2007.
- Cutaneous vasculitis in two patients taking an herbal supplement containing black cohosh. Ingraffea, Donohue K, Wilkel C, Falanga V JAm Acad Dermatol 56:S214-S215, 2007
- Localized Darier’s disease in a blaschkoid distribution: two cases of phenotypic Sanderson E Mosaicism and a review3 of mosaic darier’s disease. Killoran CE, Pedvis-leftick AWilkel CS J. Dermatol Nov, 34(11) 761-76 2007.
- Two cases of compositae contact dermatitis exacerbated by moisturizer containing feverfew Dermatitis. Killoran CE, Crawford, Pedvis-Leftick, A . Dec 18 (4) 225-229, 2007
- The Science of Wound Bed Preparation. Panuncialman J, Falanga V. Clin Plast Surg. 34(4):621-32, October 2007
- Autologous bone marrow-derived cultured mesenchymal stem cells delivered in a fibrin Spray accelerate healing in murine andhuman cutaneous wounds. . Chartier, M, Yufit T, Butmarc J, Kouttab, Shrayer D, Carson P. Tissue Engineering; 13:1299-1312, 2007